Saturday, September 22, 2012

Asleep at all Hours continued

"Okay. Okay. What if. . .what if he was so fast, nobody ever got a hit in on 'im? He could win that way. I've seen him move. He's fast. I just don't think it's right to tell people they should give up on their dreams. And Jake's such a good person." -Karen Scott

*********************************************************************************

"I've already said it once. Un. Realistic." -Paul Dempsy

*********************************************************************************

"Hello, I'm. . .Jake Krantz. Uh, I want to be a boxer. I'm not sure why you're asking me this. . .."

"I want to be a boxer. . .but. . .I have my defense. Are you sure? This is embarrassing. Aren't there other people you could ask about this stuff? I don't see what makes me so interesting. I want to be a boxer and I fall asleep to defend myself. It usually works, okay? Can you get this stuff off me? I have things to do."

**********************************************************************************

On a Friday after school Jake approached Mr. Dempsy with a proposition: "Hey, Paul, wanna go to the gym and spar with me later?"

Paul's response was calm, but less than positive. "Jake, man, can we talk about that?"

Mr. Krantz laughed to himself in response to his sixteen year old friend and answered, "What? You sound like you're about to break up with me."   Jake's demeanor changed when he saw the unamused expression of Mr. Dempsy he then fumbled out a worried response. "Uh. . .what's up, man?"

Paul's answer was, "Man, I don't see the point. You're not gonna be a boxer. You just aren't. . .you just don't. . .you know what I mean?"

"You know, I just remembered that Karen wanted me to help her can some apples. Forget I asked. It's cool, man, don't worry about it." Mr. Krantz's cheeks visibly reddened before slapping his pal on the back and reassuring Mr. Dempsy with a half hearted, "No worries."

No comments:

Post a Comment